THE KENTISH HOTEL.
On landing from the steamer, the first important building is Mr Sedgwick’s Kentish Hotel. Mr Sedgwick has of late considerably improved the appearance of the building and its surroundings. A contract for large additions to the hotel, was taken some weeks ago by Messrs Henessy and Hammond, who enjoy a good local reputation as builders. The work is nearly completed, the verandah and balcony only requiring the finishing touches. The balustrades have been turned out at Mr Hockin’s Waiuku Manufactory, and are of totara. A walk through the new suites of rooms shew that travellers, visitors, and the general public have every desirable convenience. New furniture is observable in every department. Newly married couples desirous of spending the honeymoon in a quiet country spot might do worse than go to Waiuku. The hotel has 20 rooms in addition to the large hall where the Waiuku and Waipipi Highway Boards hold their meetings. There is also a large kitchen, scullery, and other outbuildings, a large stable, kitchen garden and paddocks within a hundred yards. Horses and vehicles may be had on hire at the hotel.
Auckland Star, Volume VIII, Issue 2172, 19 February 1877, Page 2